Unexpected. If I had to describe my year in one word it would be that because a lot of things happened (some for the better) that I didn’t expect. I think some of the biggest shocks have happened in politics with the UK deciding to leave the EU and Trump winning the presidential election in the US, yet we’ve also had some serious shocks with celebrity deaths (some of which I’m still not over), RIP Carrie Fisher, Alan Rickman and others. But enough with politics and negativity as 2016 hasn’t been all that bad as we saw the world unite in the Olympic Games in Rio this summer and over Pokemon Go. In terms of the environment endangered animal numbers (for example tigers and pandas) are increasing and climate change is beginning to be taken seriously and in science, there have been some life-changing medical breakthroughs. For us book bloggers we’ve been given some epic releases and reads this year so we thought we’d share some of our favourites and feel free to link your favourites posts in the comments below and we’ll link our reviews as well so check them out! Also feel free to check out my Goodreads page which has a full list of all the books I’ve read this year and I was also able to complete my goal of reading 40 books this year!
- The Vampire Diaries – I can’t believe I haven’t watched this sooner and it is definitely one of my top 5 favourite TV shows of all time! I have a secret love for vampires and after Twilight, I didn’t know what else I could watch/read.
- Leigh Bardugo – Mainly her a Six of Crows series because that is just amazing and I highly recommend you pick up this series right now or even start on her Grisha Trilogy which is equally as fantastic! She gets you so involved in her character’s storylines and I don’t think I can find a fault in either of them!
- Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them – I have no words, it was just magical.
- Nicola Yoon – One of my new favourite authors and someone I only discovered this year through her debut novel ‘Everything Everything’ which was just so cute yet heartbreaking. And if you’ve been reading our blog recently then you all know about my love for her new book ‘The Sun Is Also A Star’ and those who haven’t, I’ll spare you from my endless praise!
- Lady Midnight – This year I was able to not only read this book which is set in one of my favourite universes but meet Cassandra Clare herself and meet some amazing people in the queue! I was able to get my book signed and get some embarrassing photos of me meeting her too!
- Morgan Matson – Another one of my favourite contemporary authors, and this summer I read a few more of her books including ‘The Unexpected Everything’ and ‘Amy and Rodgers Epic Detour’ both of which were super cute and I will leave a link to their reviews.
- Stranger Things – This show was honestly incredible as not only was its characters loveable and badass but its storyline was super gripping so much so that I binged watched the show in a day.
- Wolf By Wolf Series – This series had such an interesting concept and characters as well as being heartbreaking and powerful. I highly recommend you pick this up if you’re looking for an action packed war-themed read.
- Outlander – Our new obsession and I literally can’t wait for the next season! Fingers crossed next year we will be able to visit some of the iconic landmarks and sets of the show!
- Star Wars: Rogue One – I went and saw this a couple of days ago and I was completely blown away, it was just incredible. I don’t think they could make a bad Star Wars film.
- Outlander – I became literally obsessed with this series this year, I cannot wait for season 3!
- Reign – I have only just watched this and I feel bad for not watching it sooner, especially as Amy was always telling me to watch it! But Amy was right, it is really good!
- A Court of Mist and Fury – The sequel to A Court of Thorns and Roses, I thought it was better than the first which is uncommon for a series but I suppose it is Sarah J Maas so I shouldn’t be too surprised.
- All The Bright Places – I read this book on holiday this year and it is honestly one of the best books I have ever read, there was a lot of hype around it but in my opinion it deserved it.
- The Originals – I love this show so much, I’m hoping Amy will start watching it soon now that she’s started to watch The Vampire Diaries!
- The Missing – This was an incredible series on BBC1 that literally had everyone clueless until the last episode where everything clicked, absolutely fabulous!
- The Night Manager – Another fabulous BBC drama, this show ensured to me that Tom Hiddleston should be James Bond.
- Call the Midwife – Again a BBC drama about midwives in 1960’s London, its real and probably the most realistic show that involves midwifery.
- War and Peace – This was a TV show adapted from the very big book, it was aired on BBC1 and had some very famous people in the cast, a great period drama!
- Lady Midnight – This was a much anticipated book and it did not disappoint! I love and relish the opportunity to return to one of my favourite worlds!