Every year I say this, but seriously where has this year gone? I made a promise to myself at the beginning of the year that 2018 was going to be my year and I mistakenly put a lot of pressure and high expectations into that promise. The beginning of the year started off that way, I had managed to secure and complete work experience at Penguin Publishing (belated blog post coming soon!) and I was really happy with my health and fitness! Things really started going downhill in late August when my entire world fell apart after the unexpected death of a family member. I had so much to juggle and I reached the point where I wasn’t catching anything no matter how hard I tried. Now however I’m in a much better place and ready to start the new year with a happy and healthy mindset! Anyway, enough about my personal life lets focus on all the wonderful things that I read/watched this year! As I’ve already mentioned my reading total this year is pathetic but I did watch a lot of films and TV shows instead, so without further ado here are my book, film and TV show favorites of 2018!
- Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson – Easily my favourite book of the entire year! This book captured and broke my heart with its incredible storyline and bundle of characters, it included everything I wanted for a fantasy novel! I’ll leave my glistening review here!
- The Ladies Paradise by Emile Zola – I think this has to be one of my favourite books I’ve read during my entire degree, everything about it was wonderful and they’ve even adapted it into a TV show which is an added bonus! The story itself is set in and around a department store in Paris and follows the journey of Denise who must adapt to the inner workings of such a new and influential model of retail.
- Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir – Sabaa Tahir has created a story and characters that will make your heart pound as every page is full of gripping action and intense emotion. The characters are so varied and well developed plus I loved that Laia wasn’t your typical kick-ass heroine but a scared and determined girl who is willing to give everything to save her brother.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – After reading Caraval at the end of last year I was seriously craving some circus magic and this book had been on my TBR for a while! This book has everything you’d want, a whirlwind romance, a beguiling mystery and peculiar characters that drive the story. This truly captivating adventure is proof that magic does exist.
- A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas – I adore these characters so much and although this was only a novella I loved witnessing all the celebrations of the Winter Solstice. Maas gives us a hint of where this story could be going and even fuels our hopes for possible relationships within the group!
- The Greatest Showman – I’m sure I won’t be the only person who has this film on their favourites list as it is just one of those films you can watch over and over again and not get bored of! According to Spotify, the soundtrack was also one of my most played albums of this year because those songs are just so catchy!
- Mission Impossible: Fallout – I love all the Mission Impossible’s and this film didn’t disappoint as it pulled out all the stops and took actions films to an entirely new level! All the fight scenes were incredible and I will admit that bathroom scene had me swooning over Henry Cavil!
- To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before – This is how a book to movie adaptation is done! Thank you, Netflix for caring about this story and bringing these adorable characters to life! I love the fact that the entire world has fallen in love with this story and I am super excited for the sequel which was announced last week!
- Avengers: Infinity War – I don’t think anyone was prepared for this film and I’m definitely not ready for Avengers: Endgame…
- Big Little Lies – I totally forgot that this show came out this year and has now got me even more excited for season two! If you’re looking for a TV show to binge over the next couple of weeks then pick this one! The show is full of drama, mystery and has a star-studded cast!
- Vikings – I’ve only watched the first season (so no spoilers please) but I’m already fully invested in these characters. I’m guessing however that it’s going to be like Game of Thrones where no one is safe and that my favourite characters will be the next ones to die!
- The Bold Type – A friend at University recommended this show to me and I am now in love! The Bold Type is easily one of my all-time favourite TV shows because its everything that I aspire to be and I’d give my left arm to be one of these characters! The show provides us with a glimpse into the outrageous lives and loves of those responsible for a global women’s magazine and their struggles are about finding your identity, managing friendships and getting your heart broken, all while wearing the perfect jeans to flatter any body type.