A friend at University recommended this show to me and I am now in love! The Bold Type is easily one of my all-time favourite TV shows because its everything that I aspire to be and I’d give my left arm to be one of these characters! The show centers around three best friends working at the high-end magazine ‘Scarlet’ and is inspired by the life of “Cosmopolitan” editor in chief, Joanna Coles. The show provides us with a glimpse into the outrageous lives and loves of those responsible for a global women’s magazine and their struggles are about finding your identity, managing friendships and getting your heart broken, all while wearing the perfect jeans to flatter any body type. Anyway, if you’re looking for a new TV show to binge then I can’t recommend this one enough, its funny, heartwarming and full of badass women who aren’t afraid to speak their minds!
- Characters – These girls are everything and I’m utterly in love with their relationship with each other and their lives in general because they are living the dream. You’ve got Sutton, the fashion conscious assistant who is working her ass off to make it in the very competitive world of fashion. Then there’s Kat the social media head, who we accompany, on her journey of sexual discovery. And finally, we have my favourite Jane, an aspiring and hardworking journalist who we see grow throughout the show!
- Storylines – This show tackles so many prominent and different issues that society is facing today including racism and sexual harassment and they deal with them in an inspiring and confident way which I really enjoyed. The season 1 finale is particularly touching and emotional.
- Fashion – The perks of working at a women’s magazine are all the incredible fashion pieces and I am just in love with all the outfits in this show! They’re bold and beautiful and have even inspired me to spice up my wardrobe and add some pieces I would never have thought of trying!
- Romance – This show openly explores sex and different relationships which again is really refreshing and even relatable which you don’t usually find with TV Shows. There are heterosexual and homosexual relationships and both get equal screen time and are both equally as romantic and cute!
- Friendship – As I’ve already mentioned there are lots of relationships in this show but most importantly is the relationship and friendship between the three girls. They are always there to support each other truly are the perfect group of girlfriends!
- Humour – These ladies provide the perfect comic relief and manage to get themselves in some unexpected and always hilarious situations that will easily put a smile on your face!
- Girl Power! – I’m going to use this point not to talk about the three main ladies but some of the equally powerful and inspiring side characters. Jacqueline the editor of Scarlet is one of my favourites in the show, she challenges the male-dominated board and strives to make her magazine an empowering and open feature. Then there’s Adena, a unique and powerful Muslim photographer whose work is so clever and beautiful! This show is full of powerful women who are making their mark on the world and it really is inspiring.