Recently I’ve really been into watching historical TV Shows and I stumbled across Black Sails again which I regret not finishing last time I watched it! It has everything you would want from a dramatic historical TV show and its basically Game of Thrones but with pirates! This show is full of action and adventure and it’s hard not to fall in love with all the characters in this show because they are so different and equally wonderful. Anyway, this show is perfect for fans of Game of Thrones and Vikings as like these shows Black Sails has a clever balance of action, politics, romance and of course badass male and female characters!
- Characters – I can’t stress enough how wonderful all these characters are, and it so nice to see powerful and dominant female characters taking more of the spotlight. Toby Stevens performance as Captain Flint and the rest of the cast’s performance is nothing short of perfect as they bring these literary characters to life. I will admit my favourite characters are definitely Flint, Charles Vane and Billy Bones as not only are their characters so dynamic but they’re also lovely to look at!
- Conflict – Like Game of Thrones there is a lot of violence but what do you expect from a TV show about pirates? All the conflict and fight scenes are cleverly thought out and will successfully keep your eyes glued to the screen.
- Romance – I love how this show doesn’t shy away from different sexualities and sexual relationships and I think that’s one of the main things that make this show stand out from other historical shows. All the relationships in the show are treated and presented in the same light and aren’t used to create more drama but instead to add an extended realness and dynamic to its characters which I really enjoyed! There are so many ships in this show, aside from the ones in the water!
- Costumes – Costumes are one of the forgotten elements that aid a shows creation and although the costumes in this show aren’t as elegant as the gowns in Game of Thrones, they do however create a sense of realness and authenticity. Plus I’m currently writing something based on pirates and I am just loving all the outfit inspirations!
- Cinematography and Setting – Everything is shot so beautifully and I love the fact that we get to explore different locations and the open ocean. The town of Nassau and the beautiful ships that take pride of place in the show’s setting is once again wonderful and really helps piece the show together.
- Storyline – There is seriously never a dull moment in this show because its storyline is always moving forward into different drama’s and scenarios but in a way that doesn’t make it too confusing! There’s a perfect balance of action, adventure, politics, and romance so there’s something here for everyone.
- Politics – I’m not a huge one for politics but this show cleverly interwinds it with the storyline of the show in a way which makes it interesting and not too complicated. Also, I love the fact that two of the main power figures in this show are women who successfully dominate in such a male-dominated society and environment.